- 12 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups almonds (plain, sliced)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons coffee concentrate
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray insides of a 9" spring form pan. A pie plate can also be used.
- Spread the bread crumbs along the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over low heat and add almonds. Stir and toast for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from heat to a food processor. Let cool for 5 min. Lightly process until finely ground. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips and melt. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In 2 medium bowls, separate 6 egg yolks from whites of eggs; set aside egg whites. Add 3/4-cup sugar to egg yolks. Mix on high speed for 3 minutes with a hand mixer.
- Add coffee and chocolate, slightly blend until smooth. Mix in the almonds by hand, until combined.
- Discard 1/2 the egg whites; add remaining 1/4 cup sugar to whites and beat until foamy. Stir half the egg whites into chocolate batter, then the remaining. Don't over stir, torte will become dry and dense.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and bake 40 min. or until top is firm and starts to crack. Cool on a rack for 10 min. remove outer ring. Top with sprinkles of confectioner's sugar; serve warm or at room temperature.