This Chocolate Chile con Carne combines everything about your favorite bowl of chilli with the rich flavors of a traditional Mexican mole sauce. High in protein and fiber, this Chocolate Chile con Carne makes a hearty meal that is perfect for the cold winter months. Made with ground beef, this chile con carne is spiced with myriad of seasonings, including unsweetened cocoa powder, giving it the traditional mole flavor. Red wine adds an elegant fruity undertone to this rich and heart dish.
- vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 onions (peeled and diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled and mashed into a paste)
- 750 grams ground beef
- 250 grams red beans (precooked)
- 800 grams crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 4 cayenne peppers (small, optional)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 120 milliliters liquid (bean)
- 1 cup red wine
- In a large pot, add some oil and saute the red bell pepper and onions together. Add the garlic paste just at the end of cooking time. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat and in the same pot, brown the ground beef.
- Once the beef is done, add the vegetables back in with the red beans, crushed tomatoes, ketchup, cayenne peppers, cocoa powder, cumin, oregano, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, vinegar, sugar, bean liquid, and red wine. Stir well, cover, and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer 45 minutes checking occasionally to make sure it still has liquid. If not, add a little water.
- Salt to taste when done. Serve on rice or a baked potato.
PER SERVING *
|Calories980Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.