Chiffon cakes are a special breed of cakes that are defined by their distinctive, airy crumb, achieved by the addition of baking powder (or other leavener) plus eggs. They are also on the moister side, thanks to those same eggs and also oil (instead of butter). Here the batter is mixed in the Thermomix, for the ultimate in ease. When baking, be sure to check with a cake tester before the recommended baking time, and allow the cake to sit in the turned-off oven as directed before removing.
- 250 grams sugar
- 6 eggs
- 100 grams oil
- 100 grams warm water
- 100 grams cocoa
- 300 grams flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 338°F.
- Grease a round cake pan with margarine and sprinkle with flour.
- Fit the Thermomix with the butterfly and add the sugar, eggs, oil, water and cocoa. Set to 6 minutes/98°F/speed 3 1/2.
- Then, set to 3 minutes/speed 3.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix for 15 seconds/speed 3.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Check with toothpick for doneness.
- When the cake is ready, turn off the oven, but leave the cake inside for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and unmold.
- Let cool and garnish with powdered sugar.