Chocolate Cherry CakeAnanás e Hortelã
What doesn't go well with chocolate, anyway? Not fresh (or even frozen) cherries, that's for sure. The two are pitch perfect together. Take this cake, for starters: It has cocoa powder in the batter, plus lemon juice, ground cinnamon, and buttermilk, for well rounded flavor, and then a cherry on top, make that many cherries that are evenly distributed on top of the cake before it goes into the oven to bake.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 150 grams wheat flour (+ 2 tablespoons)
- 50 grams cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups pitted cherries
- 1For the buttermilk, mix 1/2 cup milk with 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice.
- 2Let stand for 15 minutes before using.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F.
- 4Grease a round cake pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- 5In a bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- 6Set aside.
- 7In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- 8Add egg and beat very well. Gradually add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- 9Pour batter into pan and smooth the surface.
- 10Place cherries on top layer of batter.
- 11Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- 12Cake center should remain moist. Remove from oven, let cool, and remove from pan.