- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract in large a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Add flour; stir to combine. Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Add cocoa powder to one portion; knead on surface dusted with flour for 2 mins or until combined.
- Roll each portion of dough into an 8 x 3 inch rectangle, about 3/4 inch thick. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for 15 mins or until firm.
- Whisk egg and 1 tbsp water in small bowl. Using a small sharp knife, cut each rectangle lengthwise into 4 even strips. Brush one long edge of a chocolate strip with a little of the egg mixture. Top with a vanilla strip, pushing together to join. Brush top with egg. Repeat with another chocolate and vanilla strip to make another rectangle. Stack rectangles to alternate dough color. Repeat with remaining 4 strips to form another checkerboard log. Wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze for 15 mins or until firm (not frozen).
- Using a large sharp knife, cut dough into 32 slices, about 1/3 inch thick. Place on prepared pans, leaving room for spreading.
- Bake for 10 mins until golden. Cool on pans for 2 mins. Remove from pans; cool completely on a wire rack.
|Calories80Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.