This is for sure one chocolate cake that is supposed to still be a bit runny in the middle when serving, maybe with a dollop of whipped cream on top, so be sure and avoid overcooking (the toothpick test won't work here in other words). That's due to the high proportion of wet ingredients (eggs, butter, and cream) to the dry ingredients (flour and cocoa powder), with egg whites as the only leavener.
- 4 eggs
- 300 grams sugar
- 125 grams butter (melted)
- 125 grams cocoa powder
- 300 grams flour
- 200 milliliters cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Prepare water bath by fitting round cake pan in a second larger pan.
- Second pan will be filled with boiling water.
- Drizzle cake pan with caramel.
- Beat sugar and 3 eggs.
- Add melted butter and stir well.
- Add flour, chocolate, baking powder and 1/2 cup milk.
- Beat well.
- Pour batter into pan over caramel and set aside.
- Mix all remaining ingredients and pour over batter.
- Pour boiling water into second pan for water bath and bake in preheated oven for about an hour.
- Let cool in pan.
- Remove from pan after cake cools completely.
- Tip: For best results, prepare pudding cake the day before serving.