- 1/2 cup butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 5 1/4 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
- 3 medium eggs (separated)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup self rising flour
- 5 1/4 ounces frozen strawberries (thawed)
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 ounces strawberries (fresh)
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Grease and line an 8 inch springform cake pan. Place the butter and chocolate in a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until melted. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 mins.
- Beat the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Mix the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar. Gradually pour the egg yolk mix into the chocolate mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in the flour, then fold in the egg whites in two batches. Spoon into the cake pan and level the surface. Bake for 25 mins.
- Allow to cool the cake to cool in the pan for 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. When cool, move to a serving platter.
- Place the thawed frozen strawberries in a saucepan with 2 tbsp of the orange juice and 3/4 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4 mins, stirring constantly. Allow to cool. Purée using an immersion blender.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Mix together the mascarpone, remaining sugar, the vanilla extract and the remaining orange juice. Stir in the whipped cream.
- Spoon the cream mixture on top of the cake. Top with the fresh strawberries, then drizzle with strawberry purée.
|Calories370Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.