- 6 eggs (separated)
- 350 grams sugar
- 200 grams butter
- 350 grams flour
- 20 grams baking powder
- 50 grams cocoa powder
- 250 grams milk
- 1 gelatin sheet (unflavored)
- 1 cup cold water
- 190 grams berries (assorted red)
- 1 egg
- 75 grams sugar
- 30 milliliters heavy cream
- 70 grams unsalted butter
- 5 grams cornstarch
- 300 grams fruits
- 100 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 400 grams semisweet chocolate
- 200 grams unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 100 grams powdered sugar
- 200 milliliters milk
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Butter and flour a cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- For the cake, use an electric mixer with the whisk attachment to beat egg whites until stiff, for about 6 minutes at medium speed.
- Set aside.
- Use the mixer's paddle attachment to combine 1 cup sugar, butter and egg yolks on medium speed for 6 minutes.
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa, a pinch of salt and milk and beat for 10 more seconds on medium speed.
- Gently fold in stiff egg whites with a rubber spatula until incorporated.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured cake pan.
- Smooth top of the cake with the spatula. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
- Test cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center.
- If the toothpick comes out clean the cake is done.
- For the red fruit curd, soak gelatin in 1 cup of cold water.
- In a bowl, combine berries, egg, sugar, heavy cream, butter and cornstarch and mix on high speed for 7 minutes.
- Drain gelatin.
- Add gelatin and mix for 20 seconds on speed 8. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the red fruit filling, heat fruit, sugar and vanilla extract in a saucepan over low heat and bring to a boil.
- Stir constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture is syrupy.
- For the chocolate icing, break chocolate into pieces and melt in a water bath or the microwave.
- Add butter cut into small pieces and stir well until mixture is smooth and chocolate is melted.
- Add powdered sugar and mix for several minutes until smooth and creamy.
- For the milk sauce, in a saucepan over low heat, heat milk, butter, sugar and cocoa until sugar and cocoa have dissolved well.
- For assembly, let cake cool completely and cut n half.
- Place bottom cake half on a serving dish.
- Carefully pour milk sauce over the top of the cake to moisten the cake.
- Add a layer of red fruit filling on top.
- Add a layer of red fruit curd on top of the filling.
- Place the other cake half on top.
- Pierce the top cake layer several times with a skewer and drizzle with remaining milk sauce.
- Let it soak in for a few minutes.
- Top with the chocolate icing Place remaining icing in a pastry bag and pipe decorative, small balls on sides of the cake.
- Using a round spatula, drag half of each chocolate ball to form a decorative border.
- Repeat steps until all sides of cake are decorated.
- To serve, cut cake into slices and arrange on plates.