- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound dark chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- 13 1/2 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 6 eggs (2 separated)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (+ 2 tbsp)
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder (+ more for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- For the chocolate cream, heat cream in a saucepan. Add 1/2 the chocolate, remove from heat and let stand for 5 mins. Whisk vigorously then transfer to a clean, dry mixing bowl. Cover the surface of the cream with plastic wrap, let it cool and chill for at least 5 hours, or overnight.
- For the dulce de leche, cover the unopened can of condensed milk with plenty of water in a pot and simmer for about 2 hours, adding more water as necessary to keep the can covered at all times. Remove from the water and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease an 8 inch springform pan. Melt remaining chocolate then let cool. Whisk 2 egg yolks until creamy then add sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Add remaining 4 eggs, 1 at a time, followed by melted chocolate. Mix flour, cocoa and baking powder together and fold into the batter. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold in. Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth. Bake for 50 mins. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- To decorate, remove the cake from the pan and cut in 3 horizontally. Spread about 1/3 of the dulce de leche on the bottom layer of cake. Add the middle cake layer spread with another 1/3 of the dulce de leche. Repeat. Whip chocolate cream then brush 1/2 over the cake. Transfer remaining chocolate cream to a piping bag with a large tip and pipe chocolate tufts around the cake. Chill until ready to serve. Dust with cocoa powder.
|Calories460Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.