Sometimes just the name of a recipe can get the mouth watering when you say it out loud, and this is one of those recipes. Chocolate. Cake. With. Cream. Cheese. (you had us there) And... (there's an "and"?). What's more, you make it all from scratch…
Don't worry, the jam is an easier version that can even be made the day before. As for the cake, it's rich with chocolate pieces and cocoa powder, for double the flavor, plus maple syrup, for depth.
- 350 grams strawberries
- 200 grams blueberries
- 150 grams sugar
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 75 grams cocoa butter
- 75 grams butter
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 250 milliliters plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 350 grams cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 350 milliliters natural Greek yogurt
- 5 teaspoons strawberry jam
- For the jam, in a saucepan, heat strawberries, blueberries and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until thick sauce is formed. Grind with hand blender and set aside to cool.
- Tip: Jam can be prepared the day before. Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F. Grease two small cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Set aside. For the cake, in a saucepan, heat chocolate pieces, cocoa, butter and water until you mixture is smooth and glossy.
- In a bowl, place eggs, maple syrup, sugar, and yogurt. Mix with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes until mixture is creamy and fluffy.
- Add chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Gradually add ground almonds, flour, baking powder and baking soda and gently wrap dough.
- Divide dough and place in two prepared baking pans. Bake in preheated oven.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- For the filling, in a bowl, mix cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- Add yogurt and jam. Mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut cooled cakes in half horizontally.
- Place first cake layer on serving plate and spread 1/4 cream cheese mixture on top, smoothing with a knife.
- Repeat steps with cake and filling, finishing with a layer of cream cheese.
- Top with jam. With a knife make a decorative swirl.
- To serve, garnish with fresh berries, if desired.