This cake is off the charts in its extravagance, but it's not as difficult to pull off as you may think. Those store-bought cookies make a big impact and all you have to is arrange them neatly around the iced cake. Pink candies are also a whimsical (and easy) garnish. That luscious coating is simply ganache made by melting chocolate with butter (for sheen), confectioner's sugar, and milk and stirring until silky smooth and shiny.
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup oil
- 2 packages cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- whole milk (as needed)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- 1 package baking chocolate (broken into small pieces)
- For the cake, heat sugar and eggs until smooth and creamy.
- Add flour and the oil alternately.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Gradually stir in the boiling water.
- Add the baking powder.
- Bake in preheated oven at moderate heat for about 1 hour.
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, in a small saucepan, heat a little whole milk and a teaspoon of butter until butter is melted.
- Add a tablespoon of powdered sugar and stir.
- Add the chocolate and stir until mixture is smooth. Frost cake, if desired.