Unlike traditional biscotti, which are twice baked, these are simply baked in logs and sliced to serve, meaning they're a bit easier and quicker to prepare. They're just as delicious, only with a softer texture. The intense flavor of these comes from bittersweet cocoa powder that's incorporated into the dough, as well as the almonds that are incorporated after mixing. The almonds are first toasted to deepen their flavor, and they lend the biscotti delightful crunch.
- 350 grams flour
- 12 grams baking powder
- 4 grams baking soda
- 130 grams sugar
- 15 grams cocoa (bittersweet, powdered)
- 110 grams butter (melted)
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 150 grams almonds (with the skin)
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Briefly toast the almonds, with their skin, in a very hot oven for no longer than 5 minutes and set them aside.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, and two pinches of salt.
- Add the cocoa.
- Place the dry ingredients in the mixer bowl or knead by hand.
- Mix quickly until all the ingredients are combined well.
- Add the sugar, eggs, and the butter.
- Turn the mixer on each time an ingredient is added until the ball of dough is soft and uniform in consistency.
- Remove the dough from the mixer bowl, place it on the work surface and incorporate the almonds.
- Shape the dough into two loaves and place them on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove the biscotti from the oven, let them cool slightly and place them on a wire rack and as soon as the loaves have cooled completely, slice them on a bias.
PER SERVING *
|Calories920Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.