Chipotle-Glazed Ham with Cherry-Jícama SalsaPork
- 1 spiral cut ham (bone-in fully cooked, 8 to 9 pound)
- 1 turkey (sized cooking bag)
- 12 ounces cherry preserves (high-quality)
- 2 chipotles in adobo (canned, plus 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups jicama (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup dried cherry
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1Set oven to 250 degrees F. Remove ham from packaging; if it has a plastic disk over the bone, pull it off and throw it away. Lay the ham, cut-side down in a turkey-size cooking bag. Gather the bag up over the ham, pressing out all the air. Fasten with the enclosed tie. Trim excess plastic from above the tie. Using a small knife, make 6 half-inch slits around the top of the bag to allow steam to escape.
- 2Place the ham in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake for 80 to 90 minutes (roughly 10 minutes per pound), until the temperature near the bone reads 100 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer.
- 3In a food processor or blender, combine the cherry preserves, chipotle chile and its canning sauce. Process until smooth. Scoop out and set aside 1/2 cup of the glaze for seasoning the salsa.
- 4When the ham reaches 100 degrees F., remove from oven, slit the bag and pull it out from under the ham, letting all the juices run into the pan. Tip the pan slightly and spoon off all but about 1/4 cup of the juices. Brush the glaze (except what you've reserved) over the top and sides of the ham.
- 5Return to the oven and bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, until the temperature near the bone reads 140 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer. If there is time, tent the foil and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- 6In a large bowl, stir together the onion, jícama, cherries, vinegar and the 1/2 cup of reserved glaze. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1 1/2 teaspoons. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 7When the ham is ready, stir the cilantro into the salsa and serve along with slices of ham.
PER SERVING *
|Calories920Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.