Chilli con CarneLa Cocina de Babel
Chilli is an American classic featuring beans, ground beef, and plenty of spice to go around. This recipe for chilli con carne is made in the traditional way with ground beef, kidney and haricot beans, tomatoes, and features a spice blend including cumin, chili powder, oregano, and garlic. Best served with freshly grated cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Chilli is the perfect dish on a cold night to warm you right up.
- oil (Drizzle of)
- 1 onions (large, chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (dried)
- 800 grams meat (ground ox, or beef, or a mixture of both)
- 400 grams canned tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 200 grams kidney beans (canned, rinsed and drained)
- 200 grams haricot beans (canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 300 grams cheddar cheese (freshly grated)
- 8 crackers
- 1Heat the oil in a heavy pan.
- 2Add the onion and pepper, and cook gently until soft.
- 3Add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon and chilli. Stir and allow the flavors to infuse.
- 4Increase the heat and add the meat. Brown the meat, stirring continuously. Break down large lumps with a wooden spoon.
- 5Add the tomato, and, using the same tin for a measure, add water up to half a tin.
- 6Season, and add the sugar and oregano.
- 7Partially cover and cook gently for 45 minutes–1 hour, stirring from time to time. Add water as necessary to prevent drying out.
- 8Add the beans and tomato puree, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 9Serve with the sprinkled cheese and crumbled crackers on top.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1230Calories from Fat730|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat730|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.