Warm up the coldest outing with this soup. Cornbread muffins and a salad complete this meal.
- 2 pounds boneless blade pork roast
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings (OR shortening)
- 3 cups onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cups tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried leaves oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- Slice pork roast into 3/4-inch slices; cut slices into 3/4-inch cubes. Heat bacon drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork and brown for 4-5 minutes. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir until onions are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, about 1 1/2-2 hours or until meat is very tender and liquid is thickened. Stir occasionally.