Ready in less than 90 minutes, this slow-cooked chili con carne is a great meal that does not require much work, allowing you to multitask while it cooks. The ground meat, beef or pork--your choice, is slowly simmered for an hour in a tomato sauce f…
aturing garlic, cumin, cinnamon, and oregano. Red kidney beans are added for the last 5 minutes of cooking time leaving you with a delicious chili con carne that can be served with tortillas or tortilla chips and shredded cheese.
- oil (A drizzle of)
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 kilogram ground beef (or 1/2 kg. of beef and 1/2 kg. of pork)
- 400 grams canned tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 400 grams red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (canned)
- 300 grams cheddar cheese (freshly grated)
- sea salt
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan.
- Add the onion and cook on low until soft.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and cinnamon. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the meat and cook until brown. Break up any large clumps of meat with a wooden spoon.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Half fill the the empty can with water and add the water to the meat.
- Season with salt, add the sugar and oregano, bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and partially cover with a lid.
- Cook for 1 hour until the sauce thickens, stirring from time to time. Add more water if necessary.
- Add the tomato puree and beans, stir and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips and topped with cheese.
|Calories950Calories from Fat610|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat610|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.