This spicy jam is more than just a delectable spread for biscuits or sandwiches, it's also a potent seasoning agent for cooking all types of savory dishes. Use it whenever you want a kick of fiery heat as well as subtle sweetness, for a perfect balance of flavors. The jam includes red bell peppers, garlic cloves, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and grated lime zest. Try it on toasts that are spread with ricotta.
- 6 red chilies (large)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 8 garlic cloves
- 50 milliliters water
- 50 milliliters balsamic vinegar
- 50 milliliters soy sauce
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 lime (zest)
- Grind in the food processor (or chop with a knife) the chilies with seeds, the peppers without seeds and the garlic cloves.
- Place this mixture in a small saucepan, and add all remaining ingredients.
- Boil for a few minutes until the volume is reduced.
- Allow to cool just a bit. Pour in a sterilized jar until well filled.
- Tightly cap and turn the bottle upside down for a few minutes to create a natural vacuum.
- The amount is enough for 1 jar, and some leftover to use in other recipes.