Two kinds of citrus and a little Aleppo pepper give this moist, juicy roast chicken dinner its star power. But rainbow carrots, potatoes, and leeks browned in the pan make it memorable as well. The recipe is designed especially for the Yummly Smart Thermometer to help you get perfect results. (Don’t have one? You can check the meat's temperature using an instant-read.) You’ll need a roasting pan to make the recipe, and depending on the pan’s size, you may wind up with enough pan juices to serve from a bowl, or just have a drizzle to pour on top of everything. Look for coarsely ground Aleppo pepper (a fruity, slightly smoky, mildly spicy chili from the Middle East) in your grocery store’s spice aisle or online, or substitute dried guajillo or California chilies and grind them in a clean coffee grinder. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Laura Goble.
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. aleppo chili pepper (or ground dried guajillo or California chilies)
- 1 tsp. orange zest (after zesting, cut the fruit into wedges and save for serving)
- 1 tsp. brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt (divided)
- 1 tsp. black pepper (divided)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 1/2 pounds, neck and giblets removed)
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 2 leeks (medium)
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots (with tops, scrubbed; 6 to 8 medium carrots, and a mix of orange, white, and red)
- 1 1/2 lb. potatoes (about 2 inches long, a mix of red and Yukon Gold, scrubbed)
- freshly chopped parsley (or thyme leaves, plus sprigs, for serving)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Zest lemon (save the lemon) and put zest in a small bowl. Add Aleppo pepper, orange zest, brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and garlic, and stir to blend.
- Set chicken in a large roasting pan (12 by 14 inches to 13 by 16 inches). Quarter lemon and place in cavity of chicken. Tie legs of chicken together with kitchen string. Fold wingtips under bird. Rub chicken all over with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then with citrus rub. Arrange chicken with breast side up in center of pan and set aside.
- Trim ends and tough outer leaves from leeks down to white and light green parts only. Cut leeks into 1 ½-inch chunks and rinse well. Trim tops from carrots, leaving about 2 inches of stems.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories470Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes