Chilaquiles Rojos de PuercoPork
Chilaquiles is a clever Mexican cook’s way of using stale or dry tortillas. Here, purchased tortilla chips or tostadas make the dish easy. Pork cubes simmer to tenderness in a spicy broth, and the tortillas are added right before serving. The garnishes dress the dish perfectly for the table. This main dish soup can be served with additional tortilla chips on the side.
- 1 pound boneless country pork ribs (OR boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 onions (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 cup salsa
- 29 ounces chicken broth
- 4 handfuls corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped, for garnish)
- 1/4 onions (diced, for garnish)
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese (grated, for garnish)
- 1/2 cup crema mexicana (OR sour cream, for garnish)
- 1Season pork cubes with salt and pepper and dust with flour. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in deep skillet over medium heat, brown the pork cubes, turning to brown evenly, about 8-10 minutes. Remove pork from skillet and reserve. Heat remaining in skillet and sauté onion until soft, about 2-3 minutes; add garlic and sauté one minute longer. Add salsa and broth, return pork to skillet. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer pork for 45 minutes, until tender. With the back of a fork or spoon, roughly chop or shred pork. Break tortilla chips, if large, into rough, uneven pieces and add to skillet, stir well. Simmer briefly, for about one minute, just to soften chips. Ladle soup into large shallow soup bowls, garnish each serving with cilantro, onion, cheese and crema.
PER SERVING *
|Calories590Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.