You do not have to spend a ton of money to have a five star dinner. Try this recipe for Chickpeas with Eel. This rich and flavorful appetizer combines a hearty meal on a budget. Be sure to plan ahead, because these decadent hand held treats need to be refrigerated for at least an hour before serving. We hope you and your loved ones enjoy this dish as much as we do.
- 400 grams chickpeas
- 100 grams smoked eel (dried)
- 200 grams spinach
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 quail eggs
- 1 piece bread
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Soak chickpeas and eel overnight in separate bowls of water.
- Heat chickpeas, leek, onion, and bay leaf in a pot of water and bring to a boil.
- For the traditional cooking method, simmer the chickpeas for two hours.
- For the pressure cooker method, cook the chickpeas for 20 minutes.
- Tip: the traditional way tastes better and allows more control over doneness.
- Drain eel and chop.
- When chickpeas are cooked, remove onion and leek, add chopped eel and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan and fry a slice of bread in oil.
- Grind fried bread with the leek and onion.
- Mix the bread mixture with chickpeas.
- Boil quail eggs.
- When the chickpeas are done, stir in spinach and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- To serve, garnish each plate with a quail egg.