A Middle Eastern-inspired salad made with Israeli couscous, grilled vegetables, chickpeas and a tahini dressing
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 1 medium zucchini (sliced into planks)
- 1 chinese eggplant (medium, or other small eggplant, sliced into planks)
- 1/2 red onion (sliced into rings)
- 1 red bell pepper (quartered lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chickpeas (canned, rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ground black pepper
- Add the couscous to a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain excess liquid, transfer couscous to a large serving bowl and set aside.
- Pre-heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle the zucchini, eggplant, pepper and onion with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables until char marks form and the vegetables are slightly tender, 2-5 minutes per side; chop into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the tahini, lemon juice and garlic. To thin out the consistency, add a little water, one or two tablespoons at a time, while whisking until the tahini sauce has the consistency of a dressing.
- Add the grilled vegetables and chickpeas to the bowl with the couscous and season with salt and pepper. Top with the tahini dressing and serve immediately.