- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 lemongrass stalk (finely chopped)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (trimmed)
- 14 ounces rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts (trimmed)
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce (coarsely shredded)
- 1 carrot (coarsely grated)
- 1 cucumber (small, cut into thick matchsticks)
- 1 cup herbs (mixed, such as mint, Thai basil, Vietnamese mint, cilantro, plus additional, to garnish)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 birdseye chili pepper (small, finely chopped)
- peanuts (Chopped, to garnish, optional)
- Combine 1/4 cup of the fish sauce, 2 tbsp of the sugar, 1 tbsp of the peanut oil, 1/2 of the garlic and the lemongrass in a large glass bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours to marinate.
- Meanwhile, place noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 mins, using a fork to separate noodles, until tender. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again.
- Divide drained noodles among serving bowls. Divide bean sprouts, lettuce, carrot, cucumber and herbs among bowls.
- For the dressing, combine 1/2 cup water, lime juice, chili pepper, and the remaining garlic, 2 tbsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp peanut oil in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a grill pan on medium-high heat or preheat the grill to medium. Remove chicken from marinade. Cook for 4-5 mins on each side, until browned and cooked through.
- Slice chicken lengthwise into strips and divide among bowls. Top with additional herbs and chopped peanuts, if desired. Serve with dressing on the side.
PER SERVING *
|Calories530Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.