Chicken is a versatile meat that is able to take on many flavors. Depending on what you are looking for, it can be a perfect main dish any day of the week. This Chicken with Red Mole Sauce is flavorful, hearty, spicy and savory. It takes about an hour to prepare, so it isn’t a quick dish. But the flavor more than makes up for it. It is a surprising sensation for the palate.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 chili peppers (pasilla)
- 2 ancho chile pepper
- 5 chili peppers (guajillo)
- pepper (Note:, can be found at most Latin American supermarkets or at Whole Foods stores.)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 cups water (—used to cook the chicken)
- 1 clove
- Cook the chicken in a pot of water with the onion, garlic, and the 3 peppercorns. Once the chicken is completely cooked, set it aside with 3 cups of the water that was used to cook the chicken.
- Remove the stems and seeds from all of the chili peppers and place them in a pot of boiling water.After the peppers have boiled for 5 minutes, turn off the stove and let them sit for 15 minutes.
- While the peppers are sitting in the water, pour ½ tbsp of vegetable oil into a pan and add the pumpkin seeds.
- Stir the seeds until they become somewhat plump, and when they begin to “pop”, turn off the heat immediately and pour the seeds into the blender.
- Add 1 cup of the water used to cook the chicken into the blender along with the garlic, clove, and the ground peppercorns. Blend everything together until the ingredients form a thick paste.
- Pour the rest of the vegetable oil into a large frying pan and then pour in the pumpkin seed mixture. Cook everything together for 5 minutes at medium-low heat, stirring constantly so that the paste does not stick to the pan.
- Strain the soaked chili peppers and place them in the blender (make sure not to wash the blender). Add 1 cup of the water that was used to cook the chicken, and blend everything together until the peppers are completely liquefied.
- Add this mixture into the pan where the pumpkin seed paste was previously being prepared. Mix everything together and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Once the sauce begins to thicken, add the rest of the water and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken breasts into the pan and cook them in the sauce for 20 minutes.
- Serve the chicken alone or with rice.
PER SERVING *
|Calories860Calories from Fat500|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat500|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.