Drawing inspiration from the mole sauces of Mexican cuisine, this chicken is baked in a rich chocolate sauce. Seared in cinnamon and oil, the chicken is aromatic and flavorful. The chocolate sauce is prepared separately in a dutch oven for the maximum release of flavor. Combining unsweetened cocoa with chili flakes, wine, and a little cream, the chocolate sauce is rich and creamy with just the right amount of spice. Bake time for this dish is 30 minutes.
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 kilogram chicken thighs (deboned)
- 1 onions (sliced finely)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (dried, optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 150 milliliters red wine
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 300 milliliters chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 80 grams raisins
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat some olive oil up in a skillet. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with cinnamon on all sides and sear them. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Set a Dutch oven on low heat and heat up a drizzle of olive oil. Add the onions and saute them until softened. Then add the cocoa powder, chili flakes (optional), and tomato paste, stirring everything together.
- Add the wine, sugar, and chicken stock. Salt to taste. Stir until the sauce is well mixed.
- Add the cream, raisins, and cornstarch diluted in 1 tbsp. of water. Stir until the sauce has thickened.
- Put the chicken thighs in a baking dish. Cover with the sauce and bake 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
PER SERVING *
|Calories750Calories from Fat420|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat420|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.