How do you dress up your chicken to create a dinner celebration the whole family will enjoy? This Chicken in Green Tomato and Chipotle Sauce takes about 75 minutes to prepare and will leave a dreamy and creamy sensation in your mouth. Serve with rice for a complete meal. We think you and your loved ones will enjoy this dish as much as we do. So get to cooking and enjoy!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 onion (medium sized portion of)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1/4 lemon
- 5 green tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper (previously soaked in water or vinegar for half an hour)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Place the chicken in a large pot along with the two garlic cloves, onion, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, lemon, and salt.
- Fill the pot with enough water to cover the chicken completely.
- Cover and cook the chicken on low for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken and set it aside for later use. Leave the water and the ingredients in the pot, turn the stove up to medium, and let the water heat up until around 2 cups of the liquid has evaporated.
- Place the tomatoes in the water and let them cook until they become somewhat soft in texture.
- Place the tomatoes, chipotle pepper, salt, and sugar in a blender and liquefy the ingredients.
- Place another large pot on the stove, pour in the vegetable oil, and once the oil begins to heat up, add the tomato sauce and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the liquid from the other pot and the chicken into the second pot.
- Cover the pot and let the chicken cook for another 10 minutes. If after the 10 minutes there is still a lot of liquid in the pot, let everything cook for a few more minutes (uncovered) until the texture thickens.
- Serve the chicken over corn tortillas. You can also add refried beans and cotija cheese to give the dish a bit more flavor.
|Calories550Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.