Chicken breasts cooked in a creamy from-scratch gravy and topped with crispy tater tots! Kids and adult alike will love this dish.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 2 pounds cooked chicken breast (diced)
- 28 ounces frozen tater tots
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9x13” casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Finely chop the onions, carrot, and celery. Mince the garlic
- Set a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the onions, carrots, a celery. Sauté the vegetables, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula, for 7-8 minutes, until they are softened and translucent. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds longer, just until fragrant.
- Add the frozen corn and peas to the skillet and stir for 30 to 1 minute to defrost.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetable mixture. Stir to coat the vegetables into the flour. Cook, stirring constantly for a minute, until the mixture begins to smell toasty.
- Slowly stream the chicken broth into the pan while steadily whisking. Add 1 tsp. salt, and black pepper, to taste. Cook the mixture, whisking steadily for 3-4 minutes, until it begins to thicken and bubble.
- Once the sauce is bubbling, whisk in the sour cream. Once the sauce is smooth, add the cooked chicken. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5-6 minutes, or until it is slightly reduced and somewhat thickened. Add more salt and black pepper, if needed.
- Transfer the chicken mixture into the casserole dish and smooth it into an even layer.
- Arrange the tater tots in a single layer over the chicken mixture. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the tater tots.
- Transfer the casserole dish to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes, until the tater tots are crispy and the dish bubbles at the edges.
- Carefully remove the casserole dish from the oven. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Plate the chicken and tater tot hotdish, and serve immediately.