- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 4 onions (peeled, 2 cut into wedges, 2 finely diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 leek (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 9 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 3 sprigs fresh mint leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 10 ounces pitta bread (cut into cubes)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and halved)
- 5 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 2 lemons juice (and grated zest)
- In a large pot combine the chicken, onion wedges, carrots, leek, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, and 2 quarts water and bring to a boil. Simmer over a low-medium heat for 1 hour. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and use elsewhere. Drain the stock through a strainer. Discard the solids.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a saucepan and sauté the diced onions until softened. Add the flour and sauté for 2 mins. Gradually add the stock and the cream, stirring constantly. Season with salt and black pepper and simmer over a low heat for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- To make the meatballs, mix the ground beef, mint, breadcrumbs and egg. Season with salt and black pepper. Form into small balls. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and cook the meatballs for 5 mins, turning, until browned. Drain on a paper towel.
- For the croutons, heat 3 tbsp oil in a separate pan and sauté the garlic and pitta bread until browned all over. Stir in the parsley and remove from the heat.
- Stir the lemon juice and zest into the soup and season to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with the meatballs and pita croutons.
|Calories760Calories from Fat440|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat440|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.