- 3 1/2 pounds chicken thighs (and breast parts, skin-on, bone-in, trimmed of excess fat)
- 2 teaspoons butter oil (or a combination of both)
- 1 quart chicken stock (homemade is best)
- 3 celery ribs (trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots (medium, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, about 2 cups)
- 1 onions (large, roughly chopped, about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (or vermouth, optional)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves (minced)
- white pepper (or Ground black)
- 2 cups cake flour (can sub all-purpose flour, but use cake flour if you have it, your dumplings will be fluffier)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (such as parsley, chives, and tarragon, optional)
|Calories800Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Virginia Ward 3 Dec 2018
it was awesome but i do suggest using 1/4 cup of flour in the third phase of cooking, it thinkens up the soup mix and instead of using heavy cream i used a cup of milk. I also substituted the separated veggies with a bag of frozen ones. It all came out delicious!
Aly N. 26 Nov 2018
Delicious. Didn’t use peas, but everyone loved it
Dustin Kardoes 18 Nov 2018
Delicious!! I used a dumpling recipe from a different recipe only because I like my dumplings light & fluffy, not grainy, as I would assume corn meal would make them. Aside from that, followed it to a tee & it was amazing!!
Brittany Sakelaris 5 Nov 2018
I didn't follow it exactly but it was still great
Paige 5 Nov 2018
This turned out amazingly well. The dumplings, as promised, didn’t disintegrate and were even good for leftovers
White 16 Apr 2018
The perfect comfort food! I used a Costco rotisserie chicken and it worked perfectly.
Deana Downton 11 Apr 2018
Delisious!! ❤❤ Easy to make, i omitted the heavy cream and it came out perfect. Fam loved it!!
Mellissa C. 29 Jan 2018
Great comfort food. Easy and good.
Debra L Peck P. 7 Nov 2017
Was really yummy!!! Will make again probably double the the recipe Made this again so yummy Then made with left over Turkey added my stuffing —- gets better each time 😋
Joanna VonSeggern 13 Sep 2017
Definitely needs more broth. Very delicious and filling!
Krystal Z 12 Mar 2017
great recipe. I did have to add extra chicken stock to have enough liquid, but that may of just been my personal preference. I will be making this again.