This chicken soup is loaded with bold Thai flavors. It contains only a handful of ingredients and comes together in around 30 minutes. Coconut milk is the base for the soup, while chiles, cilantro, galangal, and lemongrass make for a frangrant and healthy dish. A few sprigs of cilantro add a bit of freshness to finish the dish, while chicken breast adds lean protein. This is a great healthy soup to make when you are pressed for time but craving something bold.
- 400 coconut milk (mg of)
- 400 chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 lemongrass
- 1 galangal (root)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 cups nuoc nam
- 1 cup lime juice (tablespoons)
- 1 red chilli (bird language)
- 3 coriander leaves
- Cut the chicken into small pieces. Cut 4 slices of galangal. Remove the top part of the lemongrass stalks and chop the stems into thin slices diagonally.
- Boil the chicken stock and coconut milk in a wok. From the first broth, add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and galangal. Low the heat and cook for 5 minutes. Strain the broth and put back on fire. Add the chicken and stir. After 10 minutes, add the fish sauce and lime.
- Serve immediately placing the chopped chili and coriander separately on the table. If you find "nam prik pao" (fried chili paste) in your local Asian grocery store, use some instead of chili. It is much more fragrant.