Chicken Pot PieOn dine chez Nanou
If you are searching for a decadent homemade traditional dish, then try this recipe for Chicken Pot Pie. The pie crust is rich, buttery and flaky. The filling is packed with hearty vegetables and tender chicken. The sauce is rich and flavorful. This pie is perfect for a cold and dreary winter Sunday when you can spend the time in the kitchen and enjoy the aromas that will waft through the house as this dish bakes to perfection.
- 225 grams flour
- 110 grams butter (cold)
- 50 grams parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 eggs (whisked)
- 250 grams potatoes (diced)
- 250 grams carrots (diced)
- 250 grams parsnips (diced)
- 50 grams butter
- 1 garlic cloves (diced)
- 50 grams flour
- 600 milliliters chicken stock
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 500 grams chicken breasts
- 150 grams bacon
- 2 zucchini (small, diced)
- chives (chopped)
- 1 beaten eggs (for gilding)
- 1Dough Preparation:
- 2Mix the flour and a pinch of salt.
- 3Add pieces of butter and mix with fingertips to obtain a crumbly dough.
- 4Mix in the parmesan cheese.
- 5Make a well in the middle of the flour, add the whisked egg and 30 millimeters of cold water.
- 6Mix with your fingertips to obtain a smooth dough.
- 7Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 8Filling Preparation:
- 9In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the potatoes, carrots, and parsnips for 10 minutes or until they are tender.
- 10Drain the cooked vegetables.
- 11White Sauce Preparation:
- 12In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown the garlic.
- 13Remove from heat and stir in the flour.
- 14Retutn to heat and cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
- 15Gradually add the stock, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens a bit.
- 16Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 17Cut the bacon and chicken into small pieces.
- 18In a skillet, saute the bacon and chicken breasts.
- 19Preheat oven to 360F.
- 20Divide the dough in 2 pieces.
- 21Roll out 1 piece of dough and spread it in a round baking dish.
- 22Add the cooked vegetables, zucchini, chicken, bacon, white sauce, and chives.
- 23Roll out the other piece of dough, place on top of the pie leaving a 2/3 centimeter overhang. Wet the overhang with a little bit of water and fold it inwards while squeezing so the dough to sticks to the edge.
- 24Make a few small cuts in the middle of the top piece of dough for better cooking.
- 25Brush the dough with a beaten egg diluted in a little bit of water or milk.
- 26Bake for 45 minutes. If the dough is browns too much before the end of the cooking time, cover the pie with aluminum foil.