- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded thin)
- 2 cups flour
- 4 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 500 grams mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- fresh basil (/parsley for garnish)
- 1 brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 800 grams diced tomatoes (canned)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 bacon rashers
- 3 tablespoons cream
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until it softens slightly. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge each breast in the flour and tap off excess, then dip in the egg and let excess drip off, then dredge on both sides in the bread crumbs.
- Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for 6-7 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly. Stir in the parsley and sugar. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Divide the oil between 2 large saute pans and heat over high heat until almost smoking. Add 2 chicken breasts to each pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and top each breast with some tomato sauce, a few slices of the mozzarella, salt and pepper, and a tablespoon of Parmesan. Bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with basil or parsley leaves.
|Calories1490Calories from Fat880|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat880|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.