Mom food favorite! Traditional Hungarian chicken stew with dumplings.
- 1 whole roasting chicken (cut up, breast reserved)
- 1 1/2 onion (large, diced)
- 1 1/2 carrots (medium, diced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hungarian paprika (sweet)
- 3 tablespoons parsely (fresh, chopped)
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper (coarse)
- water (to consistency of thick paste)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- Saute the onions in butter and cook until golden. Add the carrot and cook until tender. Add the paprika and toast about 5 minutes.
- Add the meat (not the breast, yet), parsley and salt and pepper and simmer until the meat is tender, about 30 minutes. Add the breast meat and let simmer until cooked, about 15-20 minutes. Add just enough liquid (water or stock) to cover what is in the pan (not too much…)
- Mix together the flour and sour cream and add to the stew. Incorporate thoroughly and serve with dumplings.
- Combine ingredients (flour, eggs, salt, pepper and water) and beat until smooth. Let it sit 30 minutes and beat it just before you’re ready to cook
- Boil a large pot of water and drop dough into water 1/4 teaspoon size of dough. Let boil until the dumplings rise to the top, just a few minutes. Alternatively, push the dough through the large holes of a grater to make less uniform looking dumplings.
- Drain the dumplings and place in a medium bowl. Add the butter, salt, pepper and parsley and stir until the butter melts and coats everything thoroughly. Serve with chicken.
PER SERVING *
|Calories630Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.