From 'A Girl called Jack.'
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves (garlic)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 200 grams chicken livers
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 red chilli
- 400 grams chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (– red wine or white wine)
- 100 grams red lentils
- 100 grams frozen spinach
- 300 grams spaghetti
- First slice the onion, carrot, chilli and garlic and add to a large sauté or frying pan with a tablespoon of oil, the vinegar, herbs and fennel. Rinse the livers and toss them in too. Fry everything together on a medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes until the veg starts to soften and the livers are sealed.
- Carefully pop the veg and livers into a blender with the chopped tomatoes, and blend until fairly smooth.
- Pour the contents of the blender back in the pan on a medium heat, and add 200ml water, and stir well.
- Thoroughly rinse the lentils and add to the pan, add the spinach, and stir in. Add a further 200ml of water if the sauce starts to dry out. Stir occasionally to help the spinach defrost and wilt.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the spaghetti to cook, simmering for around 8 minutes or according to the packet instructions.
- It should all come together around the same time; the lentils should be soft and swollen, the spinach wilted throughout the sauce, and the pasta nice and soft but not bloated and claggy. Drain the pasta, toss the sauce through, and top with a generous handful of cheese to serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories500Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.