- 3 chili peppers (dried smoked chipotle)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (finely chopped)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (coarsely grated)
- 10 flour tortillas (6-inch)
- Cover the chili peppers with 1 cup boiling water in a small heatproof bowl. Let stand for 20 mins. Discard the stems from the chili peppers. Blend or process the chili peppers with the soaking liquid until smooth.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken in a medium saucepan of boiling water and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low; simmer, covered, for about 10 mins or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid and cool for 10 mins. Discard the poaching liquid (or keep for another use). Shred the chicken finely and place in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the onion, stirring, until softened. Remove 1/2 of the onion and add to the chicken.
- Add the garlic and cumin to the remaining onion in pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add the chili mixture, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low; simmer, uncovered, for 1 min. Remove from the heat. Season to taste. Spread 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce in the baking dish.
- Meanwhile, add 1/3 of the sour cream and 1/3 of the cheese to the shredded chicken and onion. Mix well.
- Heat the tortillas according to the package directions. Dip the tortillas, one at a time, in the remaining tomato sauce in the pan, then place on a board. Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture along the edge of each tortilla. Roll up to enclose the filling.
- Place the enchiladas, seam-side down, in the dish (they should fit snugly, without overcrowding). Pour remaining tomato sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 15 mins or until the cheese melts and the enchiladas are heated through. Serve with the remaining sour cream and sprinkle with cilantro leaves, if desired.
PER SERVING *
|Calories390Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.