This is an authentic medium hot Bengali Chicken Curry recipe with Cauliflower. This is my mothers recipe ! I have tried dozens of different curries from various region of the Indian sub-continent (India-Pakistan-Bangladesh) I think this is one of t…
e best. Try it and let me know. It will cost you less than $10 and can feed up to six people. Serve with Basmati rice.
- 15 1/2 pounds chicken
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- hot water (Keep a quart of warm to, ready before start cooking on side.)
- Using a 4-6 qt. stainless steel cooking pot over medium heat. Add oil, wait 2 minutes and add the onion and stir well for few minutes. Continue to brown onion for three minutes and add some water (1/8 of a cup) Now add Turmeric and keep sauteing/browning the onion while adding water every few minutes. You must fry the Turmeric in onion for 15 minutes. (This is one of the secret of best authentic curry as it is the improperly or very little browning Turmeric that gives that curry smell ) after 15 minutes of frying onion and Turmeric add garlic and ginger and fry an additional 2/3 minutes. Keep adding water as it start to get stick on the bottom. and burn........Don't let that happen ! Now add Coriander powder, 1 teaspoon Cumin, Garam Masala and 6 chopped Thai pepper, Cayenne red pepper, Paprika, Cinnamon sticks, Cardamom, Clove and Salt & Pepper. Add 1/8 cup of water and cook. Keep steering for 2/3 minutes.
- Now Add 12 pieces of cut tomatoes and cook 2/3 minutes Add all the Chicken piece and thoroughly mix spices, tomatoes and add 1/2 cup of hot water steer, increase the heat to high and cook for 10/12 minutes, but do open the cover and steer every few minutes and put the cover back.
- After cooking for 12 minutes add Cauliflower and 10 Thai whole green Chili Pepper, steer and mix with Chicken, add another 1/2 cup of water, close the cover and cook for 12 minutes. But do open the cover in between and stir to ensure it is not burning the bottom. (Use a heave duty wooden or Stainless steel flat spatula to stir.)
- Now bring back the heat to medium and sprinkle around fresh chopped Coriander leaves but do not further cover. However do stir few times from bringing up chicken and Cauliflower from the bottom to top.
- In 25 to 30 minutes of cooking time. fry 1 Cumin power for 5 munites over medium heat until you smell the cumin aroma. let it cool a little and sprinkle this powder over you curry.
- Now you have one of the best Curry in the world to taste with Basmati Rice or Clay Oven bake Naan (pita) bread. You can also serve with Mango Achaar as side condiment. This may sound very complicated. However, real cooking time is only 30 minutes after you prepare the spice correctly. One of these days I will post photo.