- 4 pounds chicken (cut into serving pieces, trimmed of excess fat , or 3 1/2 to 4 pounds of chicken thighs, bone in, skin on)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (medium, thinly sliced root to tip, about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper (or red, seeded, sliced into 1/4-inch wide slices)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (thickly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup red wine (or white)
- 3 cups tomatoes (peeled and chopped, firm ripe, with their juices, or 1 28 ounce can of plum tomatoes in their juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (freshly)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (or 2 teaspoons fresh, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (or 2 teaspoons fresh, chopped)
PER SERVING *
|Calories510Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Gaets C. 13 days ago
one of my favorite dishes!! simple recipe full of taste
Claire Lambach 30 Oct
Mmmmmn! Replaced the fresh tomatoes with 1 large can of crushed tomatoes and 1 can of stewed tomatoes because that’s what I had on hand and it worked well. Added 1 tsp dried basil and used pinot Grigio white wine. I like to serve it with pasta or white rice and maybe some Italian bread.
Donna Myers 30 May 2017
Loved it . BUT started it with skin on ,what a mess . Would definitely do it again perhaps trying boneless (I know Bone in adds flavour) but this recipe has lots of flavour .I did add capers and olives. Used 28 oz can of diced tomatoes.,good but I love using good San Marzano canned tomatoes .lots more authentic flavour.