- 2 pounds chicken (908g boneless skinless breast and thigh recommended)
- 2 quarts water (1.9L)
- 1 pound okra (454g 1-inch slices, cut and frozen if fresh is not available)
- 1/2 cup water (240ml to cook the okra)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (114g)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion (206g ¼ inch dice)
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper (230g ¼ inch dice, green and red)
- 1/3 cup celery (55g ¼ inch dice)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups canned tomatoes (diced, 454g, 16 ounces)
- 12 ounces andouille sausage (340g cooked, sliced)
- 1 bay leaf (dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or chili pepper, use less for lower spiciness)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file (5g Zatarain's)
PER SERVING *
|Calories590Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Debbie L. 12 Nov
I made this yesterday and oh my goodness. It's delicious! I took the advise of a reviewer and added shrimp. I omitted the okra, because I just don't like it. Definitely making this again.
Mille 4 Nov
Turned out great! I added a pound of shrimp with the sausage and chicken. Didn’t use any file but still had really good flavor and consistency.
Ajaylla R. 8 Oct
It was great! I used sausage instead of chicken, and didn’t use any file.. I also added extra cayenne for extra spice, and some paprika.
Addiecake 22 Sep
This is an amazing recipe, but you should expect to spend a couple of hours making this. It’s not too spicy, but still has a nice heat. This makes a lot of gumbo, but the left overs are still delicious!!! This is good dinner idea for big family dinner nights. Beware of the Roux because if you don’t put enough butter with the flour, it can cause your roux to clump. Make sure it’s a dense half cup of butter. Or use a whole butter stick.