- 2 pounds chicken (boneless skinless breast and thigh recommended)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 pound okra (1-inch slices, cut and frozen if fresh is not available)
- 1/2 cup water (to cook the okra)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion (diced, ¼ inch by ¼ inch)
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper (diced, ¼ inch by ¼ inch, green and red)
- 1/3 cup celery (diced, ¼ inch by ¼ inch)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups canned tomatoes (diced, about 16 ounces)
- 12 ounces andouille sausage (cooked, sliced)
- 1 bay leaf (dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or chili pepper, use less for lower spiciness)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
|Calories590Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Shaunda L. 17 days ago
turned out really good!
Hawthorne 27 days ago
absolutely amazing!!! I was leary about the orka, but mixed in, it was great! I cut the spice down by half for my kids and just added extra on my own. Everyone loved it, full of flavor and very filling! I ordered the gumbo file on Amazon since it wasn't around here.
Ashley Whittaker 16 Feb
This was a really awesome recipe! I added more spices just for that extra kick, but it was really a hit in my house.
Bayko 30 Jan
Great Delicious, can’t wait til the next time I have it.
Wanda bies 5 Nov 2018
Wow! Great! All the family and neighbors live it too!
Ron B. 20 Aug 2018
knocked it out of the park,added little more seasoning
Tanya 28 Jul 2018
Omggggggggg. It was amazing 💖
Matthew 28 Jun 2018
Dominick Diaz 27 May 2018
just take out that devils taint that is okra and its a winner! #DevilsTaintOkra
Ori Osherov 20 May 2018
Good recipe! Very rich, could use more spicy ingredients though
S 16 May 2018
Have to make almost weekly for family
mary c. 12 Mar 2018
so yummy......i will make it again! family loved it!!!!
Tony T. 25 Feb 2018
Awesome! I modified it so I can make even more. I’ve made it 7 times already.
McMenemy 12 Feb 2018
This was a great recipe to make, easy to follow. Prep is a lot, but well worth it.
Jenn S. 15 Jan 2018
Be careful of the cayenne pepper... very tasty however. I took a shortcut and bought a precooked chicken and used that instead of cooking the breast and thighs. I also added some shrimp and reduced the amount of andouille sausage by 4oz.
Cuevas 1 Oct 2017
Everyone loved it. I added shrimp. couldn't find Gumbo File in stores so I added a can of A&W root beer.
Alex Newton 14 Sep 2017
Great recipe! Left the file out because I couldn't find it anywhere and added shrimp. Great!!
CRay 24 Aug 2017
This was very good. I used canola oil instead of butter for the roux and added a Cajun seasoning. Very good
Stephanie Hicks 1 Jul 2017
It is a great gumbo recipe