Make the holiday meal special with this stuffed roast.
- 5 pounds pork loin roast (boneless, double tied)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup shallots (OR onion, finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 15 ounces chestnuts (drained)
- 2 teaspoons drippings
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- black pepper
- Untie roast, open and pound lightly to even thickness.
- Cook celery and shallots (or onion) in butter until tender. Combine with ground pork, parsley, brandy and seasonings. Spread over roast. Lay a row of chestnuts down the center of stuffing. Chop remaining chestnuts finely and set aside. Roll meat around chestnuts and tie firmly. Roast in a 350 degree F. oven 1 1/2 hours (about 20 minutes per pound) or until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145 degrees F. Remove roast from oven; let rest about 10 minutes.
- Pour off extra fat; measure 2 tablespoons. Stir flour into the 2 tablespoons fat. Add chicken broth, cook and stir until mixture thickens. Add reserved chopped chestnuts, parsley and brandy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve gravy with roast.