Puff pastry turnovers are a sweet and rich way to pack flavorful ingredients in a buttery and flaky pocket that you can take anywhere you want. It is a sweet treat for the on-the-go lifestyle. This recipe for Cherry and Vanilla Puff Pastry Turnovers is a perfect combination of buttery, sweet and savory flavors. These sweet treats are perfect for a family gathering or if you want to surprise your loved ones with a rich and creamy breakfast or snack on the go.
- 2 puff pastry rolls
- 300 grams cherries
- 4 tablespoons hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1 egg yolks (for brushing + a little bit of milk)
- Preheat the oven to 398F..
- Quickly rinse cherries in cold water, dry them. Remove pits using olive-pitter, if you have one. Cut the cherries into quarters and put them in a bowl with the hazelnuts and vanilla sugar. Stir to coat the fruit.
- Roll out the puff pastry on your work surface. Using a fluted 10 centimeters cookie cutter, make circles with the dough. Put half the circles on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. On the other half of the circles cut a small pattern in the center and otherwise make small incisions with a knife. Using a brush, lightly moisten the edge of the circles with water, then put a spoonful of the cherry mixture in the center of the dough. Cover with the second circle of dough, press down firmly with your fingers on the edges, then a fork to seal the two layers of dough to push out the air.
- Stir the egg yolk with a little milk, brush this mixture over the tops of the pies.
- Cook for about 20 minutes to get them nicely browned, let cool before serving them. If desired, sprinkle them with powdered sugar.