- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk (lukewarm)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 pounds cherries (fresh, pitted)
- 1 3/4 cups Amaretti Cookies (crushed)
- 7 ounces marzipan (coarsely grated)
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream (warmed)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Sift 3 cups flour into a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Add yeast and 1/3 cup sugar then make a well in the center. Melt 1/2 cup butter and mix with lukewarm milk, egg and vanilla. Pour into the well and mix until soft. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let proof in a warm place for about 45 mins or doubled in size.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch springform pan. Lightly knead the dough and roll out into an 8x27 inch rectangle. Mix cherries with 2/3 cup crushed cookies and marzipan and spread over dough. Brush 1 long edge with water and roll up to enclose filling. Place in prepared pan and press edges to seal. Cover with plastic wrap and let proof for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt remaining butter then mix with remaining flour, cookies, sugar and almonds. Brush warm cream over top of dough and spread almond cookie mixture over top, pressing down lightly. Bake for around 1 hour or until golden and firm to the touch. Leave in pan for 10 mins then remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth then drizzle over cooled cake. Let set for 30 mins then slice and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories300Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.