The test of many a good chef is their ability to take something simple and turn it into something a bit more special. Take, for example, the humble club sandwich, here given a couple modern twists, starting with a sprightly mayonaisse based dressing that's spiked with whiskey and flecked with chopped fresh parsley. Then there's the unexpected addition of cucumber and arugula along with the usual tomato and chicken breast meat.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon whiskey
- 1 pinch salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 12 cucumber (slices)
- 1 handful arugula leaves
- 12 tomato slices
- 4 chicken breast
- Combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, chopped parsley, whiskey, salt, and freshly ground pepper thoroughly. Set aside.
- Toast the six slices of whole wheat bread.
- Generously spread the dressing on each slice of toasted bread.
- On top of the first slice of toast, place 6 cucumber slices and some arugula leaves. Place another slice of toast on top with the dressing side up. Add 6 tomato slices, a bit more arugula leaves, and two slices of chicken breast. Finish the sandwich with a third slice of toast, but this time with the dressing side down.
- Press it down with the palm of your hand. Insert toothpicks to make cutting the sandwiches easier.