- 20 jumbo shells
- 10 ounces frozen spinach (cooked according to directions omitting the additional water)
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 cup Mexican cheese (shredded, cheddar works, too)
- 2 green onions (finely diced)
- salt (to taste)
- dried basil (to taste, I used about ¼ teaspoon)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 16 ounces Alfredo sauce (I used Ragu)
- 28 ounces spaghetti sauce (I used Prego Traditional)
- Start by pre-boiling your jumbo shells in a large pot of boiling salted water. You only need to cook them for about 9 minutes. They'll finish cooking in the oven, later. After the 9 minutes, take them out and drain them face down on a paper towel. You don't want an excess water in the shell!
- While the noodles are cooking, work on your filling. Cook some frozen spinach in the microwave until it's no longer frozen. I'd recommend following the directions on the box, but don't add in any water. Once the spinach is cooked, add to the spinach, wheat germ, parmesan cheese, Mexican (the original recipe called for cheddar) shredded cheese, chopped pecans, and finely diced green onions. Mix until combined. Add in salt, a touch of pepper, and dried basil, to taste. I used about ¼ teaspoon of dried basil, but feel free to use as much as you like. The sisters also suggest adding nutmeg, to taste, if you like!
- Once the mixture is seasoned to your liking, add in two eggs and water and mix again until the eggs have been fully incorporated!
|Calories670Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.