This extra-cheesy green bean casserole is so good, it will convert all the vegetable skeptics around the dinner table.
- 1 pound green beans (trimmed)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion (medium)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more for blanching)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (30g per 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (30g per 1/4 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray an 8-9-inch square casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cut the green beans into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Slice the mushrooms, finely chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Once the water is boiling, add the green beans. Blanch the green beans for 3 minutes until they are bright green. Drain the green beans into a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Set a large pot over medium-high heat and add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the onions and mushrooms to the pot. Sauté for 6-7 minutes until the mushrooms are browned and shrunken and the onions are soft. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for 30 seconds longer, until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and onions. Stir with a spatula to coat. Slowly pour the broth into the pot, whisking to dissolve the flour. Pour in the half and half and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the sauce, whisking constantly, until it begins to bubble and thicken. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the sauce to simmer for 5-7 minutes more, whisking occasionally, until it is reduced by about a third.
- Add the green beans to the pot and stir to coat with the sauce. Pour the green bean mixture into the casserole dish. Sprinkle the shredded cheeses in an even layer over the top.
- Bake the green bean casserole for 20-25 minutes on the middle rack of oven, until the casserole is bubbling at the edges and the cheese is golden brown on top.
- Check to see that casserole is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.