- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 3/4 sticks butter (cut into small pieces)
- 3 medium eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese (medium-fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 lemon juice (only)
- 9 ounces caramel squares (soft, chopped)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (flaked or finely)
- powdered sugar (to dust)
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in 1/3 cup of the sugar. Rub in 1 1/2 sticks of the butter until crumbly then stir in 1 of the eggs and mix to a dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a 13 inch diameter circle and use to line the base and up the sides of a 10 inch springform pan. Chill in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Melt the rest of the butter and cool for 10 mins. Beat the cream cheese, vanilla extract and cornstarch with the remaining sugar and eggs together in a large bowl until smooth. Whisk in the melted butter, milk and lemon juice. Pour into the lined pan and place the pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 1/4 hours until the filling is just set. Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven.
- Place the caramels and cream in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 mins until the caramels have melted, then stir in the almonds. Cool for 5 mins then spoon the mixture over the top of the cold cheesecake and leave to cool completely. Serve dusted with powdered sugar.
|Calories500Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.