Your family will love this hearty meat and potatoes casserole meal.
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (divided)
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- black pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- green onion (Minced, for serving)
- ketchup (Additional, for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Spray a 9x13” casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dice the potatoes into 3/4” pieces and place in the casserole dish. Finely chop the onion and set aside.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and season with 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir with a rubber spatula to coat the potatoes in oil. Transfer the potatoes to the casserole dish.
- Transfer the casserole dish to the middle rack of the oven.
- Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes, until they are tender but slightly underdone, and just starting to brown.
- Spray an extra-large skillet with non stick cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and onion. Cook the beef for 7-8 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, until browned. Add the ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire, 1 tsp. garlic powder, paprika, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine, and cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the beef mixture to the bowl, along with 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Fold to mix the beef and potatoes, and melt the cheese.
- Transfer the beef and potato mixture to the casserole dish and smooth into an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar cheese over the top.
- Transfer the casserole dish to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the casserole for 12-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and lightly golden brown.
- Carefully remove the casserole dish from the oven. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle the cheeseburger and potato casserole with minced green onion. Plate and serve immediately with additional ketchup, if desired.