Cheese and Nopal Stack with Chili VinaigretteLa Cocina Mexicana de Pily
This recipe for Cheese and Nopal Stack with Chili Vinaigrette makes a fun addition to the dinner table or can be served as a savory starter. Nopal is another name for prickly pear. The addition of nopal to this recipe makes it a fun and unique one that you will not soon forget. Made by layering seared manchego cheese, seared nopal, and fresh tomato slices, these Cheese and Nopal Stacks are covered in a spicy chili vinaigrette prepared beforehand, see recipe instructions.
- 3 guajillo chili peppers
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 kilogram queso panela (or ricotta cheese or high moisture mozzarella)
- 6 tomatoes
- 6 nopales (tender, cactus)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup vinaigrette (chili)
- 1Rinse the chilies, remove the seeds, and soak in 1 cup hot water until soft. Drain and pat dry.
- 2In a blender, add the chilies, oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt to taste.
- 3Puree and drain.
- 4Refrigerate before serving.
- 5Slice the cheese and tomatoes into 1-centimeter slices.
- 6With a cookie cutter, cut out circles of nopales.
- 7In a saucepan, heat the olive oil. Sear the nopales and cheese on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- 8Plate by layers: 1 nopal circle, 1 cheese slice, 1 tomato slice. Repeat.
- 9Dress with the chili vinaigrette and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories450Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.