Cheese and Fennel Seed Sablè Shortbread SticksL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Sablè is a traditional French shortbread cookie (meaning "sand") that originates in Sablé-sur-Sarthe, in Sarthe. When preparing it, the baker rubs cold butter into flour and sugar to form particles of dough that look like its namesake. In this savory version, all-purpose and almond flour-based dough is flavored with Parmesan and fennel seeds. The kneaded dough needs a short time to rise before it's rolled out, cut into breadstick-like shapes and baked until golden.
- 220 grams flour
- 50 grams almond flour
- 150 grams grated parmesan cheese
- 160 grams butter
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2Add the flours, cheese, butter, fennel, water, and a pinch each of black pepper and salt to a mixing bowl.
- 3Place all the ingredients in the mixer with two tablespoons of ice water, turn on the mixer for just long enough for the ingredients to begin coming together into a ball.
- 4Transfer the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead it quickly, shape it into a ball, cover it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for 1 hour.
- 5Roll the dough out onto the work surface to 1 centimeter thickness, flour it and cut it into sticks measuring 1 centimeter by 6 centimeters.
- 6Place the sticks on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown.
PER SERVING *
|Calories730Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.