You can cut the puff pastry into rounds, as here, or other shapes, and also to gather together the scraps, roll out again, and cut out more shapes. You can also use whichever type of cheese, or blend of cheeses, you like best, so long as they are of the melting variety, such as Gruyere or munster, with parmesan added for its welcome sharpness. Poppy seeds are sprinkled over these puffs before baking, but you could omit those if desired.
- 1 puff pastry (fresh, package, I bought a round one)
- 1 package cheese (mixed)
- 1 egg yolk
- poppy seeds (to taste)
- Unwinding and flatten the puff pastry and cut into circles (using a cooking ring, if desired). Combine the scraps and repeat, until all the puff pastry is gone.
- Slice the cheese and break into pieces.
- Place a cheese piece in the middle of each dough circle.
- Close the circles firmly.
- Brush with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for about 15 to 20 minutes.