Food Network Magazine
- Parmesan Cheese Straws: Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water. Roll out 1 sheet thawed frozen puff pastry into a 12-inch square on a floured surface; brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. Cut into 24 strips (1/2 inch thick); twist each strip. Bake at 375 degrees F until golden, 15 minutes.
- Chili-Cheese Straws: Make Parmesan Cheese Straws (No. 1), replacing the Parmesan with shredded cheddar. Use smoked paprika and sprinkle the dough with 1 teaspoon chili powder.
- Prosciutto-Parmesan Palmiers: Roll out 1 sheet thawed frozen puff pastry into a 12-inch square on a floured surface. Cut in half; cover each half with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and 1 ounce sliced prosciutto. Roll the short sides of each rectangle toward the center so the two ends meet in the middle; gently press together and freeze until firm. Trim the ends and slice each log 1/4 inch thick. Bake at 400 degrees F until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Bocconcini Kebabs: Toss bocconcini (small mozzarella balls), cubed fontina, pitted kalamata olives and Peppadew peppers with olive oil, chopped parsley and rosemary, and red pepper flakes. Thread onto small skewers.
- Sausage-Cheddar Bites: Top 1/4-inch-thick rounds of summer sausage with sliced cheddar. Bake at 375 degrees F until the cheese melts, 3 to 5 minutes. Sandwich between butter crackers.
- Honey-Walnut Goat Cheese: Combine 1/4 cup each olive oil, walnut oil and chopped walnuts, 2 tablespoons honey, and pepper to taste. Pour over one 11-ounce log sliced goat cheese in a dish. Let sit 2 hours; top with chopped chives. Serve with crostini.
- Ricotta-Pistachio Crostini: Beat 8 ounces ricotta, 2 tablespoons each heavy cream and grated Parmesan, and a pinch of salt until smooth. Stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch each of red pepper flakes and chopped rosemary. Spread on crostini; top with orange marmalade and chopped pistachios.
- Greek Halloumi: Combine 3 tablespoons each olive oil, chopped Kalamata olives and roasted red peppers, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 minced garlic clove; stir in 1 tablespoon each chopped mint, oregano and scallion, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Halve one 8-ounce block halloumi into 2 thin rectangles; dredge in flour. Cook in olive oil until golden, 3 minutes per side. Top with the olive salad; serve with bread.
- Garlic and Herb Cheese Dip: Combine one 5-ounce package garlic-and-herb cheese spread, 1/4 cup buttermilk and 2 tablespoons sour cream until smooth; season with salt. Top with chopped scallions. Serve with chips.
- Gorgonzola Cheese Dip: Combine 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola and 1 tablespoon milk until smooth; season with salt and cayenne. Serve with crudites.
- Caraway-Havarti Beer Cheese: Melt 1/2 stick butter over medium heat. Stir in 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add 1 cup each heavy cream and beer, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard and 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and hot sauce; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups shredded caraway havarti until melted. Serve with chips.
- Fig-Walnut Cheese Balls: Pulse 8 ounces softened goat cheese and 4 ounces gorgonzola dolce in a food processor until smooth. Mix in 3 tablespoons finely chopped dried figs; chill. Form into 1-inch balls; roll in freshly ground pepper and finely chopped candied walnuts.
- Bacon-Chive Cheese Balls: Mix 8 ounces softened cream cheese, 1 cup shredded gouda, 2 chopped cooked bacon slices, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, and hot sauce to taste; chill. Form into 1-inch balls; roll in chopped chives.
- Fig and Cheese Toasts: Cut rosemary focaccia into small slices. Make the Fig-Walnut Cheese Ball mixture (No. 18); do not chill or roll. Spread on the focaccia; sprinkle with Parmesan. Broil until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Top with chopped parsley.
- Olive-Asiago Flatbread: Combine 1/2 cup each chopped green olives and parsley, 1/4 cup olive oil and 1 grated garlic clove; season with pepper. Spread onto 2 lavash flatbreads; top with 1/2 cup shredded asiago. Bake at 425 degrees F until crisp, 12 minutes. Cut into pieces.
- Camembert-Mushroom Pizzettes: Cook 8 ounces sliced oyster mushrooms in olive oil until tender; season with salt and pepper. Form 1 pound refrigerated pizza dough into two 4-by-12-inch rectangles on parchment. Top each with 3 ounces sliced Camembert and the mushrooms; drizzle with olive oil. Bake on a preheated baking sheet at 475 degrees F until the crusts are browned, 15 minutes. Top with chopped parsley; cut into pieces.
- Grilled Cheese Strips with Bacon: Caramelize 1 sliced onion in butter over medium-low heat, 30 minutes. Divide 8 slices cheddar, the onion, 4 crumbled cooked bacon slices and some fresh thyme among 4 slices rye bread; top with 4 more slices bread. Cook in a skillet with butter until golden, 4 minutes per side. Cut into strips.
- Goat Cheese and Pear Crostini: Cook 2 chopped peeled pears, 1/2 cup each water, dry Riesling and raisins, 1/3 cup sugar and 4 strips lemon zest over medium heat, 20 minutes. Serve on crostini with goat cheese.
- Spanish Manchego Tortilla Bites: Mix 4 cups potato chips with 12 lightly beaten eggs; let sit until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add half of the egg mixture, 4 ounces each cubed manchego and muenster, then the remaining egg mixture. Cook, undisturbed, until the bottom is golden, 5 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F until set, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool; unmold and cut into squares.
- Cheesy Crab Cakes: Combine 8 ounces lump crabmeat, 1/4 cup shredded monterey jack, 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon each Dijon mustard, lemon juice and chopped cilantro; season with salt and cayenne. Form into 16 patties (1 inch each); dredge in flour. Cook in vegetable oil until golden, 2 minutes per side.
- Shrimp Quesadilla: Combine 8 ounces chopped cooked shrimp, one 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, the juice of 1 lime, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin and 2 chopped scallions. Divide 1/2 cup grated queso fresco and the shrimp between two 8-inch flour tortillas; top each with another tortilla. Cook in a buttered skillet until golden, 1 1/2 minutes per side. Cut into wedges.
- Pepper Jack Latkes: Peel and grate 2 russet potatoes and 2 carrots; squeeze dry. Mix with 1 egg, 1/2 grated onion, 1 cup shredded pepper Jack, 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and 1 teaspoon kosher salt; season with pepper. Form into 2-inch pancakes; cook in vegetable oil until golden, 3 minutes per side. Sprinkle with salt; top with sour cream.
- Cheese Puffs: Bring 1 stick butter, 1/2 cup each water and milk, and 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and cayenne to a simmer. Stir in 1 cup flour until a ball forms. Transfer to a bowl; with a mixer, beat in 4 eggs, one at a time, then 1 cup shredded Gruyere. Pipe into 1-inch balls on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F until puffed, 25 minutes.
- Fried Ravioli: Mix equal parts all-purpose and semolina flour. Dip refrigerated cheese ravioli in beaten egg, then the flour mixture. Deep-fry in 375 degrees F vegetable oil until golden, 4 minutes. Serve with marinara sauce.
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppers: Mix 8 ounces goat cheese with 1 tablespoon each milk, olive oil, chopped parsley and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Spoon into 8 piquillo peppers; chill. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Manchego-Stuffed Dates: Fill pitted dates with cubes of manchego; wrap with sliced serrano ham. Broil until golden, 5 minutes.
- Provolone-Stuffed Peppadews: Fill Peppadew peppers with cubes of provolone; wrap with prosciutto. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar; top with basil.
- Cheese-Stuffed Olives: Stuff Roquefort into 24 pitted green olives. Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons each olive brine and lemon juice, 1 tablespoon gin, 1 teaspoon thyme and a pinch of sugar; season with salt and pepper. Pour over the olives; chill.
- Tuscan Potato Bites: Toss 1 pound quartered baby Yukon gold potatoes with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees F, 30 minutes. Toss with 1/4 cup grated pecorino, 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary and 1 teaspoon lemon zest; bake 10 minutes.
- Endive with Gorgonzola: Mix 8 ounces gorgonzola dolce, 1/2 cup mascarpone and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley; spread onto 24 endive leaves. Top with crumbled cooked bacon and chopped candied pecans.
- Beer Cheese Soup Shooters:
- Cook 1 chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in 1/2 stick butter in a large pot over medium heat until softened. Add 1/4 cup flour; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Whisk in 12 ounces beer, 2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1 teaspoon each Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce; cook until thickened, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers and 2 cups shredded cheddar until melted. Puree; season with salt and cayenne. Top with more peppers.
PER SERVING *
|Calories90Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.